Sunday, July 13, 2008

PZ and the Cracker

Professor Meyers has stirred up a great deal of controversy by threatening to desecrate a communion wafer. He manages to make some valid points about the absurd and immoral lengths people are willing to go to when their personal beliefs are threatened. That said, I think this is another example of social tone-deafness amongst the "New Atheists" like Meyers.

What possible good could insulting the beliefs of a large religious group do? I think Christianity and Catholicism in particular consist of lots of silly ideas, but to the extent they don't bother me with them, I really can't get too worked up about it. To purposely seek to interfere with someone else's beliefs by mistreating the holy symbols strikes me more as pointless bullying rather than brave free speech.

No comments: